Kareri Lake Trek Highlights
- Trek through the splendid vistas of forests, grasslands, streams and lakes to reach the perfect elliptical glacial Kareri lake.
- Soak in nature’s bounty at Kareri Lake – a freshwater lake rugged amidst mountains and surrounded by lush subtropical forests and alpine grasslands.
- Take the path less travelled as you trek through the offbeat Kareri Lake with an experienced and friendly guide.
- Trek to an altitude of 9,650 ft. through the lush green forest of chirr and chilgoza pines.
- Sleep under the stars listening to stories from local villagers as you enjoy the simplicity of life away from the bustling cities.
About the Kareri Lake trek
Located at an elevation of about 2,950 meters in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, Kareri Lake is a freshwater lake rugged amidst mountains with greenery all around. Situated in the majestic Dhauladhar range, this glacial Kareri lake trek will take you through a journey of the most scenic views as it is home to lush pasturelands, exotic perennial flowers, and dense conifers. Kareri trek is also a favorite among the shutterbugs and nature lovers who can spend some time close to nature while clicking their best shots.
Kareri Lake Trek Quick facts
Start Point: Dharamkot
End Point: Mcleodganj
Kareri Lake Trek Height: 9,650 ft.
Temperature: 8°C to 20°C
Kareri Lake Trek Distance: 26 KM (to and fro)
How to Reach:
By Air: Kangra Airport is the Nearest Airport just 17 Km from Dharamkot. You can get here by connecting flights from New Delhi and Chandigarh Airports.
By Train: The nearest railway station is at Kangra which is 27 Km from Dharamkot. It is connected to Pathankot Railway Station through a narrow-gauge line.
By Road: Overnight buses run from New Delhi to Mcleodganj from where Dharamkot is just 4 Km. You can also get buses to Mcleodganj from Shimla, Manali, Dehradun, Chandigarh, and Pathankot.
Kareri Lake Trek Itinerary
Dharamkot to Kareri Village | A Scenic Route Surrounded with Beautiful Snow-Capped Mountains
- Arrive at the predecided meeting point in Kaneri where a representative will greet you and give you a quick overview of the entire tour.
- After getting acquainted with your tour leader and other travellers, start the trek to the nearby Kaneri Village
- After arriving at Dharamkot and meeting the rest of the group, proceed to trek towards the Kareri Village.
- Meet the locals of the Kareri Village who belong to the Gaddi Tribe.
- Spend the night in a tent or a homestay in Kareri Village.
Trek to Kareri Lake | Walk through thick forests of Oak, Rhododendron, and Pine trees
- Start off early in the morning after having a hearty breakfast.
- From Kareri Village, you will go to Reoti Base Camp, and from here you will start the trek to the lake.
- Trek to the lake from Reoti depends on weather conditions as on a rainy day the path becomes too slippery and dangerous for trekking.
- The trek first passes through level grounds but then comes onto a steep ascent, as you trek alongside the Kareri Nullah Stream and pass through various bridges.
- Get immersed in the beauty of nature as you look at the perfect elliptical glacial lake surrounded by subtropical forests and alpine grasslands.
- To get a better view of the lake climb the nearby hill with the temple on top where you can rest for a while.
- After some time, we will start paragliding for 15-20 minutes.
- After some time start your trek back to the Reoti Base Camp where you can enjoy a campfire.
- Overnight at the Reoti Base Camp.
Descend to Mcleodganj | End of Trip With a Bag Full of Life Time Memories
- After breakfast at the Base Camp, start your descent towards Mcleodganj.
- Reach Mcleodganj to mark the end of the tour with loads of memories for a lifetime.
- Accommodation in Alpine tents on sharing basis
- Meals include breakfast and dinner as per the itinerary
- Trekking, Camping and 15-20 minutes paragliding activities are included
- Highly experienced guide and pilots